In this briefing paper, we look at digital marketing, the tools and strategy to leverage digital channels and social media, to connect with current and prospective customers.
Digital marketing is an innovation transforming traditional marketing techniques to a reach broad online audience, lower marketing costs, build brand awareness, and solicit a direct interactive dialogue with customers.
Unlike traditional marketing, which revolves around one-way messaging, digital marketing strategies, reach prospective customers across multiple online channels.
The main difference is that digital campaigns are executed through digital channels and use digital platform data tools to analyse and evaluate effectiveness.
Digital Marketing Strategy
Digital marketing strategies transform the way organisations connect, acquire, and retain customers. Adopting social media platforms to innovate marketing and raise brand awareness through a direct communication path with consumer, members, and subscribers.
Digital marketing works for B2B as well as B2C organisations. B2B customers tend to have complex decision-making processes, extended relationship-building, and analytical decision-making. B2C customers tend to respond better to short-term offers, snappy messaging, emotive decisions, and favour one-on-one connections with a brand.
The key to developing a digital marketing plan is to use a variety of digital channels to connect with them in a multitude of ways.
Digital Marketing Channels
- Social media marketing drives traffic and brand awareness, engaging people in a discussion online to create friends and followers through platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and others.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques apply common industry-related search queries to optimise content to improve the visibility of brand-related content and website keywords.
- Pay-per-click (PPC), involves purchasing of ad space to drive traffic and paying every time a target customer clicks on the link, and, a conversion such as making a purchase, enquiry, or a newsletter sign-up.
- Content marketing focuses on distributing personalised content – brand-centred blogs, articles, social updates, videos, landing pages – to acquire, engage and retain an audience to drive customer action.
- Email marketing techniques send messages, to existing and prospective customers who have signed-up to receive direct communications, to encourage loyalty, build brand awareness, solicit sales or donations.
- Influencers are identities with credibility and a following in online community groups, and, can impact buying behaviour; influencers use their brand to reach large audiences on popular social media platforms.
- Affiliate marketing rewards one or more online associates who link web site, send web traffic and recruit purchasers, and, are paid for the activity based on a specific social media affiliate agreement.
- Data analytics translates customer behavior using digital platform analytics tools to examining online channels buyers might interact with and identify new revenues, campaign ROI, and calls-to-action (CTAs).